34th ACPM-CIC: Energy supply source for construction projects delivery
Date(s) - March 28, 2023
11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
A reliability and decarbonisation challenge in South Africa
Operations on a typical construction site is resource and energy intensive. The unreliable sources of energy on construction site represent anti-thesis of work progress and project completion. The prevailing and unending ‘loadshedding’ debacle in South Africa is affecting all industrial activities, including operations on construction sites. For instance, the Financial Mail (2 Feb 2023), reported that there were 157 days in 2022 without power, and in January 2023 alone, 29 days electricity is recorded. For an industry that grapples with performance related problems, the shift in energy sources is detrimental to project delivery and the financial health of most stakeholders. It is, therefore pertinent to consider the following questions:
1. What energy sources for construction activities are available in South Africa?
2. What is the effect of energy sources in South Africa on construction project delivery efficiency and sustainability?
3. What are the alternative sources of energy for construction operations?
4. What innovative techniques could reduce energy consumption on construction sites?
5. How should the construction industry as a sector respond to the energy crisis?