LEADERSHIP STRATEGIES FOR EMPOWERING WOMEN IN CONSTRUCTION
Date(s) - September 14, 2023
10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
This discussion explores strategies and key considerations for advancing women’s leadership development in the built environment sector. By addressing challenges such as limited career growth, lack of mentorship and sponsorship, gender biases and stereotypes, and the need for inclusivity, this session will foster debates that promote the progression and representation of women in leadership roles within the industry.
- Creating Opportunities for Career Growth: How can South African construction provide enhanced opportunities for women professionals to advance and progress in their careers? What specific initiatives or programs can be implemented to support their career growth?
- Establishing Mentorship and Sponsorship Programs: What are effective approaches for developing mentorship and sponsorship programs tailored to the needs of women in the industry? How can these programs provide guidance, networking opportunities, and advocacy for their leadership development?
- Overcoming Gender Biases and Stereotypes: What actions can be taken to challenge and address gender biases and stereotypes within the construction sector? How can the industry ensure equal opportunities and recognition for women’s leadership capabilities?
- Cultivating an Inclusive and Supportive Environment: What measures can organisations adopt to create an inclusive and supportive environment that fosters women’s leadership development? How can resources, training, and professional growth opportunities be made equitable?
- Promoting Networking and Collaboration: What initiatives can be undertaken to encourage networking and collaboration among women professionals in the sector? How can knowledge sharing and collective support empower women in their leadership journey?
- Leveraging Industry Partnerships and Alliances: How can partnerships and alliances between industry stakeholders, professional bodies, and educational institutions be leveraged to drive initiatives focusing on women’s leadership development?
- Advocacy and Recognition: What collective efforts can the industry make to advocate for the value of women’s leadership? How can their contributions be recognised and celebrated to inspire further progress?
By engaging in these discussions and addressing these questions, the construction sector can identify and implement strategies that empower women professionals to thrive and lead. By fostering inclusivity, providing opportunities, and challenging biases, the industry can create an environment that supports women’s leadership development, leading to a more diverse and progressive sector.